Good News Everyone!
The rumors of this project's death have been greatly exaggerated (even after taking into consideration the fact, that no one was really talking about it). This arkanoid-ish first game of mine lives and it even got some new features implemented.
Real life forced me to go on a pretty long hiatus from blogging, programming and other past-times. Now, that real life is promising me some free time, I am planning on continuing this crazy adventure. I have re-started working on the game few days ago thanks to stumbling upon multiple breakout clones on Pico-8 BBS (I think there was some kind of Pico workshop, as many of them look alike). The kicker was the powerup code inside those carts...which I have blatantly stolen :P
After orienting myself in my mess of a code for a bit, I transplanted the powerup code to my game. After few tests and tweaks, I caught the programming bug (no pun intended) once again. New features just kept flowing and I ended up adding some minor things and making tweaking the gameplay over the next few days. I was presently surprised how much I remembered of what I have learned about coding those five months ago.
While I have a couple busy days this week, soon after that I am going to resume working on this game (for which I still need a good title) and blogging about the process. I will start with going through the features I just added and I will take it from there. If everything will go my way (and I won't come up with even more big features I want to add), I should be releasing this guy by the end of the year. So, stay tuned!