Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Game Dev Vs. Life

Sadly the last two weeks or so were pretty slow on the gamedev front. I didn't have much time to think about what I want to add to the game, not to mention implementing it. Thanks real life.

Most of the time I spent in Pico-8 was toying with the background pattern to make it look less like random assortment of pixels and to add the life counter. It is still not perfect, but I think I will leave it for the time. It is not all doom and gloom. I have managed to tweak some small things to make the gameplay feel better and solved a small bug in which the ball would destroy bricks in a straight line under certain conditions. The biggest achievement in this time was the screen transition animation. This frame will show up in red when you lose, and in blue between the levels. I might have just wasted 300 tokens on something purely cosmetic, but I think it will be a good way to show some of the game's theme.

That's it when it comes to progress in those ten days. I will try to implement more things this week when I have a bit more time to spare. Maybe I will finally make a dent in the new enemy/brick types, add some of the long promised glitches or mess with the win/lose formula. Recently, it was that last one idea made me think most about the game.  Having score and lives is ok, but I have an idea for alternative approach where the ingame "system" would crash (lose condition) if you let too many bricks/bugs/errors exist for too long. It is kinda a time limit system, but it would be flexible to give a player more time the better he/she plays. This is something that will need to be tested to see if it is any fun. I am also toying with having limited amount of levels, as the game is infinite right now. Maybe some kind of "betting" mechanism, where the players could bet on  how many levels they could beat and get bonus points based on that? We will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment